Dr. John C. Tunnell is board certified in Periodontology and Dental Implant Surgery by the American Board of Periodontology and limits his practice to periodontics, minimally invasive surgical procedures, dental implants, and oral medicine. He is a proud Dallas native, graduating from Jesuit College Preparatory School in North Dallas. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from The University of Texas at Austin and his Doctorate in Dental Surgery from The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
After dental school, he attended a 3-year residency program in periodontics, dental implants, and oral medicine at the Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry, where he received his Certificate in Periodontics and a Master of Science in Oral Biology. After residency, he joined Dr. Brad Crump, one of his mentors from residency, in private practice in Dallas.
In addition to working in private practice, Dr. Tunnell serves as a clinical adjunct professor in the graduate periodontics department at Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry where he teaches the post-doctoral residents. He has performed extensive research in minimally invasive surgery in periodontics and continues to be involved in periodontal and dental implant research. He has co-authored and published several articles in peer-reviewed journals and has lectured both locally and regionally. Dr. Tunnell is also very involved in organized dentistry and serves on numerous committees in the dental and periodontal societies.
Dr. Tunnell currently lives in Dallas with his wife, Jade, and their two kids. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with his family, trying to stay in shape, and traveling whenever possible.
Click here to view Dr. Tunnell’s complete resume.
Dr. Tunnell has received numerous certifications and licenses in addition to his D.D.S. and M.S. degrees.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology
- Texas Dental License
- Western Regional Examining Board Certification
- Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification by the American Heart Association
Dr. Tunnell’s Professional Affiliations and Memberships Include:
- Dallas County Dental Society:
– Chair, New Dentist Committee
– Peer Review Committee
– Communications Committee
- Texas Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Southwest Society of Periodontists
– Member at large, board of directors
– Exhibitor Committee
- Texas Society of Periodontists
Other affiliations and awards that have been bestowed upon Dr. Tunnell are:
- D Magazine Best Periodontist 2018, 2019, and 2020.
- Texas Monthly Super Dentist 2018, 2019
- Dallas County Dental Society New Dentist of the Year
- Adjunct Assistant Professor in Graduate Periodontics at TAMUBCD
- Bettye M. Whiteaker, DDS, MSD Endowed Scholarship in Periodontics